It’s summer in Queensland and although it’s been a rather mild summer compared to some of the 40 degree celcius xmas’ of the past few years it’s still warm enough for a refreshing cocktail on the deck. My drop of choice is the Mojito. The best one I’ve ever had has been at the Pavilion in West End – Sundays they have a happy hour between 4-6 where all cocktails are half price. The worst I’ve had was at the Purple Olive in James St Fortitude Valley. Dry mint flakes weren’t cool and neither was the fact that it was made on lemonade (my fault). I’ve had enough now to know what I like and don’t like and this is my recipe that is based on a number of recipes.
1. Cut a thick slice of lime and a thick slice of lemon, cut them in to quarters and drop them at the bottom of a long glass. Add some raw sugar (or brown or white) and then mush it all at the bottom with a wooden spoon.
2. Add crushed ice on top, trying to avoid big chunks. Add Bacardi rum, fill it to about 1/2 the cup.
3. Add Mojito Mix (from Bay Swiss, about $20) so that the cup is 3/4 full. Add soda water to fill the cup to add a little bit of fizz.
4. Insert cool fancy straw and give it a bit of a stir.
5. Sip slowly and feel refreshed!